Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Perfect Snow and Silly Fillies

Here in southern Tennessee it is rare to see much more than an inch of snow, so when 5 to 6" fell last weekend, it constituted a photo walk around the farm. The good thing about a southern snow is it usually only lasts a day, maybe two. In our area, the roads were melted off early, but the snow stayed the better part of the day. It was a great day to settle in and do some reading and enjoy looking out, but not until I took a walk around the farm. I walked past the pastures taking some pictures of the horses when this particularly curious filly caught my attention. Of the four in the field, she was the only one paying attention to me. She kept coming a few feet closer just like she couldn't stand it, and had to find out what I was doing. Now this filly is used to me, it was just the camera she was checking out. I had taken about 15 pictures of her coming closer and closer, then she would take off running, get the others running, then come back for another study. She was real cute, but I just included a few of the dozens it took.



Closer.



Closer.


Take a litte run.

Bring the whole gang.








The fillies are on the other side of this fence from our back patio, and as you can see, we had a good little heaping of the white stuff. I love this yellow vintage table I found at a sale.


Then I walked down to the workshop and noticed how the wind that night had blown the snow up on the siding of the building. We even had some drifting! Rascal, my grandson's Jack Russell, was with me and was up to his belly in it. That was a first for his short legs.


Anna and Irish, two of our mares.


A walk around the yard.


The front yard pine tree.


When we first move here we had three giant maple trees in the front yard, but due to drought and age, we are now down to one. I hope we can hold on to it!



The creek is on the back of the farm. This is where the grandkids wanted to be over the Christmas holidays. This spot has kids written all over it.



1 comment:

  1. What beautiful photos, the horses look gorgeous, I think my poor Appaloosa would freeze to bits in the snow, hes a big sook.. Anna and Irish are lovely..

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your COMMENTS