Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Log Cabin Kitchen


                                                                                After a setback with a round of the flu after Christmas, it sure felt good to be back on my feet and ready to roll.  But before I could roll too far, I had to tackle my holiday aftermath kitchen!!  I love my kitchen.  When we finished our log cabin in 2013, we added a big wing on the back which is  the kitchen, laundry, hall powder room and the on-suite for the master bedroom which is one of the cabin rooms.   It was the best decision we made because it gave us a large gathering room including the dining harvest table in one end of the kitchen.   Even though it is not open concept, we do have a open doorway to the living room and another to the entry hall which makes for a good flow and  a complete circle on the first floor.

All of the windows in the kitchen/dining addition are large, almost floor to ceiling double hungs, so we can get the best of views and spring and fall breezes.  When we moved the antique cabin to our property, we stored all of the wood from a surrounding house that covered the logs at the previous owners.   We salvage and repurposed so much wood, from beams we used on the porch ceiling to shiplap siding that became all of our trim work for the entire house.   All of that old wood was sawn with blade marks which we lightly sanded and natural finished.   

Another kitchen fave is our cabinetry.  While we were checking with our local Amish community an hour away in search of wood flooring, we discovered a cabinet maker.  I love the shaker style cabinets he made, and I added glass to the uppers which he had never done.  He also had never installed a mixer lift which is a spring loaded shelf that raises my mixer out of the cabinet it is stored in. I just love it, and he thought it was a great idea too!! Our large island is also a plus because of the increased cabinetry on of which has the microwave.  Even though we downsized to the cabin when we moved here, it's the kitchen, the heart of our home that makes it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your COMMENTS